Monday, June 6, 2011

Governor's Race is still going

Hello again. I know it has been two months since my last post. I also realize that probably no one is still out there, but Tony Barnhart said he was going to start blogging about college football again on March 14, and I check faithfully every day even though he has not resumed his posts.

Anyway, politics has continued through the heat of the early Mississippi summer. Tonight, I am checking back with the Republican governor candidates. I read the other day that Dave Dennis won for May. Unfortunately for Dave, the only vote that counts is the one in August, and from where I sit, at least on the internet side, nothing much has changed.

Phil Bryant still appears to be the frontrunner. He has more than 6,000 Facebook likes while Dennis has less than 3,000. They seem to have about the same number of Twitter followers. And I haven't been able to catch much buzz about either one. YouTube for both is pretty much standard stuff -- ads and videos of appearances. They are also everywhere traveling the state. Phil, as will any smart politician, is making good use of his present office of lieutenant governor. And although I have not seen him in the news, he is all over the flood on Facebook.
                                     
I did, however, notice one small change. Dave is interacting with people on Facebook. It is all very supportive and very friendly, but it is nevertheless interaction. And it is not always with people Dave already knows. In fact, it is usually with people he doesn't know. So Dave is starting to get social media. It remains to be seen whether he is catching on soon enough, and whether there are enough people in Mississippi who use social media to make a difference in the race. Certainly, he is going to have to take his involvement to a greater level if he is going to get any benefit from it. Remember, Dave is facing a pretty formidible opponent who doesn't seem to have any baggage inside the state -- at least among Republicans.

Stay tuned, this race is getting more interesting.

I will blog again when I get time.                                                                                                                                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment